Before your Treatment:
Use sunscreen and physical sun protection.
Avoid extended sun exposure, i.e. beach, travel to sunny locations, sunbathing, sports outdoors.
Inform your IPL technician if any physician has ordered Accutane for you in the last 6 months.
Inform your doctor of any medical conditions or medications you are taking that might sensitize you to light, affect wound healing or affect coagulation.
Sunscreen is a MUST and should be used daily beginning the day of treatment and used consistently. Use sunscreen with Broadband UVA and UVB protection and an SPF of at least 30. Ensure to reapply during sun exposure. DO NOT expose your skin to direct sun exposure for 14 days. The treated area is more prone to sunburn and pigmentation change.
Cleanse the skin two times a day with plain, lukewarm water and a gentle cleanser. Use your hands and fingertips to cleanse using gentle patting motions. DO NOT rub, scrub, use an exfoliant soap or skin care brush, e.g. Clarisonic in the treated area.
Moisturizer should be applied generously with clean hands over the treated area and reapplied whenever your skin feels dry.
Tips & Tricks:
- Use soft washcloth and towels to avoid any scrubbing.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat or sun protecting clothing
- Post-treatment to avoid blistering, scarring, hyperpigmentation and hypopigmentation.
- Avoid strenuous exercise and sweating until after skin has healed.
- If the treated area is especially warm within the first 12 hours after the treatment, a cold compress or ice pack can be used to provide comfort.
- If the skin appears red or swollen (sunburn sensation), an ice pack can provide comfort, same as Vitamin E or Aloe Vera applied to the treatment area. In rare cases, oral pain relievers, i.e. Extra Strength Tylenol or Advil, may be used.
- While the skin is healing, avoid anything that will irritate the skin, such as exfoliants, shaving, too hot or too cold water, and swimming pools and spas with multiple chemicals/chlorine.
- In the unusual case of broken skin or blistering, contact the office immediately. Keep the affected area moist and avoid direct sunlight.
After your Treatment:
You may experience some redness in the treatment area that should resolve within a few hours.
You may notice darkening of your pigmented spots, followed by fading and flaking off at a later stage.
Follow your technician's aftercare plan until skin is completely healed – typically one week after the treatment. The skin on your body might take longer to heal, compared to your face.